If you wish to transfer your web hosting to Pickaweb then this is very straightforward. We have helped thousands of people to move their website to us and all you need to do is to follow the steps below.
If you need our help we can do this for you for Free.
2. We will email you a full welcome email to enable you to publish your website. This email will contain the required DNS (name servers).
3. Publish the website to the new web space using the details that are emailed to you when the hosting is set up.
4. Test the website at the temporary location to ensure all functions work correctly (we send you full instructions with a temporary link to allow you to view the website). You can also refer the following URLs for that.
5. Access the Pickaweb control panel & set up email accounts in the Mail Manager option & make a note of the password that you use. Please note that the username of the email address will be the email address itself (you will need these in point 8 below).
6. Amend the nameservers of the domain name to your primary and secondary DNS settings which we have emailed to you (see above) – we recommend that you do this on a Friday evening because these settings are what tell the internet where your domain is hosted and when you make changes it takes a few hours to work through the internet (this is called propagation). Normally you can do this via your domain name control panel or you can request your current host to do this. If you have any problems we would recommend transferring the domain name to us & we can do it for you.
If your domain name is with Pickaweb you can manage your nameservers via your Pickaweb Client login area.
7. Once you have made the nameserver changes they take approx 24 hours to take effect.
8. At some point soon after making the nameserver changes you may notice that your emails stop working. This is perfectly normal and is explained by the fact that the internet is trying to determine which physical server you are now hosted on since you have made your nameserver changes. All that you need to do now is to go into your Email Client Software eg: Windows Live Mail, Outlook, etc. & ensure that the email account has the username set as the email address and the password that you used when creating the account in the Pickaweb Control Panel (see point 5 above). Please also ensure that you have the incoming and outgoing mail server settings as mail.yourdomainnamehere.com.
9. After a few hours the old hosting & email service will stop functioning and the new service will begin working. There may be some anomalous email behaviours temporarily, but eventually most email will get through. For this reason we recommend making the DNS changes on a Friday evening or over the weekend so that it does not interfere with normal business days.
10. If you find that you have problems with your email, please check our Email Troubleshooting guide.
The final point is if you wish to transfer the domain name over fully to Pickaweb so that it needs to be re-registered with us. If you check the following links this will explain how to do this:
US Domains (.com, .net, .org, .biz, .info) – see our full US Domain Transfer Guide.
UK Domains (.co.uk, .org.uk) – see our full UK Domain Transfer Guide.