Any WordPress post that you create should look good to the reader’s eye. You should make sure that the post is formatted in a way that’s not just easy to read but also engaging. Whether it’s a post or a page, WordPress provides you with a formatting bar that you can use for appropriate formatting. The formatting bar is similar to the formatting options you have seen while using text editing software like Microsoft Word.
If you have a wordpress blog hosting check the following formatting options in WordPress –
1. The first few options to begin with are ‘bold’ and ‘italic’. When you want to highlight a particular word or a sentence, you can use the bold option so that it quickly attracts the readers’ attention. On the other hand, the italicizing option comes in handy when you want to add a new shade of meaning to a word in a sentence.
2. Next, you have the ‘bulleted list’ icon. While writing a post, you’ll always feel the need to highlight some important points in the form of a list so that readers can easily skim them. For example, you can list the different stages of a process in the form of a bulleted list. All you need to do is select the text and click on the list icon, and bullets are added.
3. The ‘blockquote’ format function in WordPress is also a useful one. If you want to highlight an important piece of information or use a quote in your post, you can use the blockquote function which indents and adds quotation marks to the selected text.
4. The next option you’ll find in the WordPress formatting bar is alignment. Depending on your specific requirements, you can align a piece of text towards left or right or in the centre.
5. You’ll also find a ‘link’ option in the format bar. This function allows you to link to other related posts, whether on your own blog or someone else. Links in a post help readers to explore a particular subject to a deeper level. To create a link, all you need to do is select a phrase, click the link icon, enter the URL where you want the reader to go when they click the link and finally click the Add Link button.
6. Insert more tag is another option that you can use while formatting a blog post or a page. What it does is that it allows you the freedom to choose how much text you’d like to display on a page, with a read more link.
7. Including subheadings in posts is important because it allows readers to skim and scan the text quickly. Subheads quickly inform the reader whether a post has something they’re looking for. Therefore, the WordPress formatting bar also features an option which you can use to create subheads (of large font size) in a post.
8. The format bar has an option for applying colours to text too. With this option you can change the colour of a piece of text, words or sentences. Apart from choosing colours from the colour palette, you can also create and apply your own custom colours.
While creating a post or a page, you’ll see many other options in the WordPress formatting bar. Check out each of them so that you know what they exactly do and use them as per your requirements.