In this tutorial you will learn to import and export databases using phpMyAdmin
What does Importing and Exporting a database mean?
Importing a database is the process of restoring a database with a database backup/dump file where as Exporting a database is the process of creating the backup/dump of a database.
phpMyAdmin makes importing and exporting databases extremely easy.
Exporting a Database
- Go to cPanel >> Databases >> phpMyAdmin
- Select the database from the list of databases in the left panel.
- Click on the Export tab.
- Select the format SQL from the drop-down and click on ‘Go’ button.
This will download the database backup or dump in .sql format into your local computer.
Importing a Database
- Open up phpMyAdmin and select the database as mentioned in the first two step above.
- Click on the Import tab.
- Click on ‘Choose File’ button and select the database dump in .sql format from your local computer.
- Click on ‘Go’ button.
Importing a database would overwrite the database tables, so make sure you are not importing the dump/backup file to the wrong database.
This is as simple as it sounds but for any confusions and questions, our 24/7 Support team is always available via LiveChat or Email support.