The easiest way to install a plugin is from the WordPress dashboard. Due to some issues, however, you may be in need of a manual installation. If you face a situation like that, you can always install a plugin manually via an FTP program like Filezilla.
Before any plugin installation, it’s advisable to back up your WordPress site completely so that you have nothing to worry about in case something goes wrong or there are errors.
For a manual install of a plugin, follow these steps –
1. First of all, download the plugin to your computer.
2. Extract the plugin folder to your desktop.
3. Go through the readme file for installation instructions.
4. Launch the FTP program – Filezilla.
5. Navigate to the wp-content folder.
6. Drag the plugin folder here – wp-content/plugins.
7. If you have a wordpress hosting, log in to your WordPress dashboard.
8. Go to the Plugin screen to view the installed plugin in the list.
7. Click on the Activate Plugin link so that the plugin becomes active.
That’s how you can install a WordPress plugin manually via the FTP program you use. In any case, always remember to refer to the readme file of any plugin you want to install for specific instructions.