In this post I will explain how you can update you WordPress blog to the latest version.
Why update WordPress version?
Answer is really simple, to avail the added functionalities and bug fixes in the newer version. It also helps in avoiding vulnerabilities of the older version.
- Take a full working backup of your website (both files and database).
- Turn of the Cache.
- Update Plugins and Themes.
Ways to upgrade WordPress
- Update via WordPress Dashboard
- Manual update via FTP or SFTP
Update via WordPress Dashboard
Updating WordPress via Dashboard is really easy. Here are the steps.
- Login to the WordPress Dashboard.
- Click on the Please Update Now link.
- In the next page you’ll have two options. One is to upgrade automatically and other is to download the newer version.
If you click on Upgrade Automatically, WordPress will download the files and upgrade it automatically. Other option is to download the New version files to your local computer and then upload it manually.
Manual update via FTP or SFTP
Download the WordPress files to your local computer and do the following.
- Connect to your account via FTP client like FileZilla.
- Navigate to the the document root of the domain (public_html for the main domain) in the server and upload the files from local computer to the document root of the domain.
- Once the upload is complete, just open a browser and go to the WordPress Dashboard. It will ask you if you want to update database, just click on Update WordPress Database.
I hope you found this post on how to update or upgrade your WordPress blog to the latest version useful.
If you have any questions or comments add them below to keep the conversation going.