Interlinking posts is an important part of SEO. When you want to improve the SEO of your WordPress site, you should understand how to interlink articles or blog posts for maximum effect in the search engines. It’s important to know which posts have to be interlinked and what type of anchor text you should use while interlinking.
Here are the SEO interlinking best practices you should follow:
- There are multiple WordPress plugins that you can use to interlink articles or posts in WordPress automatically. However, it’s recommended that you interlink manually. WordPress plugins are only limited in their capacity and they can’t interlink exactly in the way humans can. When you do it manually, you will have complete freedom as to where to interlink, how to interlink and what anchor text to use.
- When interlinking, you should keep the relevance factor always at the top of your mind. You should never link posts that aren’t related even distantly, as it could lead to your website being penalized for over-optimization. For example, linking to an online mobile store from a page which talks about the mobile-friendliness of a site is a bad practice. Interlinking should be done in a way which helps readers to explore the current topic further.
- Anchor text should be chosen carefully. Usually, anchor text that you use for interlinking should contain keywords you want to rank on. However, you should also take the user needs into consideration. Merely focusing on keywords when interlinking posts is not recommended. The best idea is to make it as descriptive and natural as possible while also including keywords so that you can earn more trust in the eyes of the major search engines and get more SEO benefits. The key point is not to disfigure your text and include loads of unnatural sounding phrases just to get a good anchor text link.
- It’s always a good idea to link to older posts from new posts on your WordPress sites. This will ensure that your older posts don’t get buried. Also, you can link to pages from blog posts or articles on your site. All you need to remember that the older posts you’re linking to are highly relevant to the new posts, as discussed in #2.
- If you have a large WordPress site with lots of links (which includes navigation) on every page or post already, you should take care. The more internal links you have in a post, the less juice each of those links will pass. So, it’s good to keep the number of internal links low.
- While you continue to do interlinking for SEO on your WordPress site, their number will also increase with time. Therefore, you should not just interlink posts and then forget about them. It’s important to manage them effectively. You can use Google Analytics to monitor the interlinking structure of your site and identify the user search pattern and discover missed opportunities for greater success. Also, ensure that you don’t have too many broken links. There are various tools that you can use to track broken links on your site and then fix them as quickly as possible.
If you follow these interlinking best practices, it will surely boost the SEO of your WordPress site quickly.