You might have heard about both WordPress.org and Blogger. But do you know which one should you use? When you want to start a blog or website, you’ll find many content management systems. However, it’s important to make a well-informed decision and choose a platform which suits your specific requirements the best.
To make the best decision, you should clearly understand the difference between WordPress.org and Blogger and what each of them has to offer in terms of building a site.
Here’s what you need to know –
- Owned by Google, Blogger is a free blogging service. Though it allows you to build and launch a site, it’s not good in terms of ownership. You can publish as much content on your site running with Blogger, but Google reserves the right to pull it down anytime they may want. On the other hand, a site running on WordPress.org gives you full control and complete freedom. With a domain name and a WordPress hosting plan, you can easily create your very own site with WordPress.org and build a business.
- In terms of customization a site to user requirements, blogger remains far behind. If you build a free site with Blogger, you will have only limited features and functionalities to use. But a site running on WordPress.org platform has a lot to offer in terms of features. The official WordPress plugins directory features thousands of plugins that you can use to add new features to your site. Plugins are also quick to install and activate.
- One of the major differences between WordPress.org and Blogger platforms is that the latter offers only a limited number of templates or layouts that you can apply to your site. However, WordPress.org offers you thousands of both free and premium templates, known as themes. Regardless of what industry or niche your site belongs to, you’ll find a wide range of user-friendly themes to choose from.
- When you use Blogger, the responsibility of the security of your site lies with Google completely. You don’t need to think about backing up your site’s content. If you use WordPress.org, however, you need to take care of the backups yourself. Though WordPress.org is a well-structured platform, there are a few steps that you’ll need to take yourself so that your site is safe from hacking or malicious attacks. You can back up your WordPress site manually or use a plugin to achieve the task.
- There are times when you may want to transfer your site to a new host or redirect it to a new domain name. If you have site running on Blogger, tasks like these can become a real pain. WordPress.org sites can be easily moved from one web host to another. You can also change the domain name in just a couple of steps.
- Whichever blogging platform or CMS you use, the kind of support it offers is a matter of important concern. In terms of technical support, WordPress.org is far ahead of Blogger. The active WordPress community is always at your disposal to help with your issues effectively.
A self-hosted site built on WordPress.org undoubtedly comes along with tons of benefits. If you’re seriously planning to build an online business, WordPress.org is your best option. Book a domain, buy a hosting plan and start building your business now.