After starting a WordPress site, one of the most important things that you should pay attention to is its SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Free traffic from major search engines isn’t easy to get. You need to optimize almost every part of your site with the keyword or keyword phrases that are important for your business. If you’re a beginner looking to learn those WordPress SEO tips and techniques that you can use to achieve higher rankings in search engines like Google, Yahoo and Bing.
If you are looking for a professional company to help you with your WordPress SEO we recommend Maxima Local.
Here’s what you should know, and do –
1. Find a good WordPress SEO plugin and install it on your site. Once activated, you can go to the Settings section of the plugin to make the necessary changes for appropriate optimization.
We recommend the following WordPress SEO plugins:
- WordPress SEO by Yoast
- All in One SEO Pack
Though you’ll find many plugins in the WordPress directory to improve your site’s SEO, these two are the best.
2. The next step is to find those keywords that can be profitable for your business. There are several free and paid keyword research tools that you can use for this purpose. Google Insights and WordTracker are free to use while there are paid ones like Raven Tools and SEOBook. All these tools will make the keyword research part easier for you.
3. When choosing keywords, you should pick those that have a high search volume but low competition. Most importantly, you should focus on long-tail keywords. Short-tail keywords are hard to rank for, as they have a higher level of competition. On the other hand, long-tail keywords are easy to rank for and they have high conversion rates.
4. Each blog post that you create should be properly optimized for your chosen keywords before you make it go live. Right from the title of the blog post and the Meta data to the content body itself, you should make sure that they contain the important keywords. The plugins mentioned above make it easier for you to optimize a blog post for higher search engine rankings. However, you should remember not to over-optimize a blog post, as it may lead to different types of search penalties.
5. One of the most important WordPress SEO tips is to optimize a blog post by linking it with other posts internally, and externally. Links in a blog post allow users to explore a topic to a deeper level. For example, if you’re writing a post on email marketing, you should try to link it to other posts which talk about creating email newsletters, crafting email subject lines, increasing the number of email subscribers etc. Linking in and linking out also compels users to spend more time on your site.
6. In any case, you shouldn’t ignore the quality of the content. Each blog post that you publish should focus on a specific issue and how to get it fixed. Content that solves the day-to-day problems of users are always in high demand and are shared in large number via social media. Recent search engine algorithm changes favor those sites that publish unique, value-added and well-researched content on a regular basis.
If you keep these SEO tips in mind and apply them to your site, you’ll be able to attract more traffic from the major search engines. At the same time, you should keep a close watch on the search algorithm changes that happen from time to time so that you can make quick changes in your approach and continue to rank higher in search engines for a long time.